Friday, April 30, 2010

Getting Real with Work at Home Moms

I have to be honest. Sometimes working at home is really hard.

Personally I have decided to build my business while I am home with my kids. I know there are many women who aren’t ‘work at home’ moms… But today I want to focus my thoughts and feelings specifically to those women who are mom’s at home full time and also working to building their businesses.

It’s hard sometimes you know? I have people to call, I have emails to write, I have forms I need to finish, I have training that needs to be done… all thewhile my son is crying, teething, needing ‘mommy’ and pulling on my arm. How does one balance it all while being a TRUE mom – focusing on your kids – AND building a business?

This is a question that I am asked a lot lately. ‘How are you really finding time to build this business while being a full time mom at the same time?’. So let’s talk down and dirty about things that every ‘work at home’ mom is going to experience. Just know you are normal:

  • Someone will call you while you are cleaning up around the high chair and your son just throws up on you while on the phone.
  • There will be times when you will find yourself irritated with your kid(s) because they are getting in the ‘way’.
  • Your schedule will get milk spilled on it and you will find yourself double-booking appointments because you forgot to rewrite them down.
  • There will be dishes in the sink and laundry on the couch longer than you want it to be there.
  • You will ask yourself,”Holy Crap – what am I doing all this for? I am going crazy!”
If I am the only one who has experienced this – then call me crazy. But I have a feeling a lot of ‘work at home moms’ experience these things and MUCH MORE every day.

So how do you deal with it? How do you really stay balanced and focused on your family WHILE building a business? I would suggest these 5 things. These are NOT the ‘end all be all’ solutions, but I find when I do these 5 things it helps me immensely:

Find the rest of the article from Andrea Palmer here.

No comments:

Post a Comment